Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham
SANTA FE — New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has issued an official proclamation naming October 2022 as Disability Employment Awareness Month throughout the State of New Mexico.
In proclaiming Disability Employment Awareness Month, the governor states that “New Mexico employers can reap the benefits of hiring people with disabilities, who are skilled, loyal, and committed to their success” and that “workplaces welcoming of the talents of all people—including people with disabilities—are a critical part of our efforts to build an inclusive community and strong economy.”
The proclamation also refers to the New Mexico Division of Vocational Rehabilitation’s (NMDVR) mission as it relates to disability employment.
“New Mexicans with disabilities are a huge untapped resource, with a range of skills and abilities to help businesses grow,” says NMDVR Director Casey Stone-Romero. “We bridge that talent, helping both companies and employees succeed, and we’re committed to helping employers find candidates who are skilled, loyal, and committed to their success.”
Throughout October, the agency is engaging in efforts to spread the word to businesses regarding the benefits of employing New Mexicans with disabilities. The New Mexico endeavors are part of National Disability Employment Awareness Month, which aims to educate Americans about disability employment issues and celebrates the many and varied contributions of workers with disabilities. This year’s theme is “Disability: Part of the Equity Equation.”
The full proclamation from Gov. Lujan Grisham can be found on the NMDVR website at www.dvr.state.nm.us/latest-news/. The original will be prominently displayed at the NMDVR State Office in Santa Fe.
For information about becoming an employer partner of NMDVR, call 505.954.8500 or visit www.dvr.state.nm.us/locations/ to connect with your local office. For more information about National Disability Employment Awareness Month, visit www.dol.gov/NDEAM.
The New Mexico Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (NMDVR) helps eligible individuals with documented disabilities find suitable employment. To do so, NMDVR partners with employers seeking opportunities to enhance and diversify their workforce. Vocational rehabilitation is a voluntary program supporting people who want to work. With a long history of success and proven methodology for making the best fits, NMDVR is committed to helping participants thrive in their communities.
The Vocational Rehabilitation program receives 78.7 percent of its funding through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. For federal fiscal year 2022, the total funds awarded was $21,389,100. The remaining 21.3 percent ($6,017,000) was funded by state appropriations and transfers from the Commission for the Blind and Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham issued an official proclamation naming October 2022 as Disability Employment Awareness Month in NM. Courtesy/NMDVR